Hawaii Trip!

We are back from Hawaii! It was quite an adventure. There was so much to see and do that it just flew by. It almost feels like a dream now.

Flying with 3 kids under 5 was pretty intense. I now compare it with childbirth. During labor, you keep thinking you will never do it again. But as soon as it is over, you forget all about the bad stuff and just revel in the good. When we first got home, I was so overwhelmed by the whole experience that I said I would never do it again. But maybe I will – in a few years! Don’t worry though, the trip was great! It was just the flying part that was hard :)

Day 1 – We left on Thanksgiving Day and it was a Thanksgiving to remember! All our bags were packed, we were ready to go. We made it through security without a hitch, which was a challenge due to our packing a stroller, car seat, liquid formula, baby food and 4 carry-on bags. The kids were patiently waiting to get on the plane.

Just before we were due to board, Delta announced our flight was delayed. 3 long hours later, they announced it was canceled! The next flight out was at 7 AM the next morning. So we were stranded in Salt Lake City for the night. Lila, of course, thought it was the greatest day of her life. Delta put us up in the Quality Inn…. Not the most glamorous hotel in town.

Arby’s wasn’t my first choice for Thanksgiving dinner either. But my awesome hubby went and got it for me! So we made do and it made for a great memory!

Day 2 – We had to get up at 3:30 AM in order to get to the plane on time, so that made it a LONG day. Once we landed in Hawaii, we were greeted by Marc’s Dad, Ed, with leis! What a thoughtful gift from Marc. He had planned it in advance so we would get a proper greeting. We were tired and stinky, but happy to finally be in paradise!

The view from our room was gorgeous! We were just steps from Pokai Bay, one of my favorite beaches. We spent the first day relaxing at the beach.

Day 3 – We went to the Aloha Stadium swap meet and met up with my Aunty Arlyn and Aunty Arnette. We ate some yummy food and had a great time catching up.

My nine year old cousin Allee and Lila hit it off right away. I’m glad they had such a good time together!

Day 4 was so busy! First, we met up with my Uncle Ardie, Aunty Stella and her fam. It was so much fun! We (again) had more great food, even better company and lots of laughs. The girls and Marc swam in the pool while Max and I hung out and talked with everyone.

We left the party to go visit my Grandfather Kepo’o's grave. He is buried in the most beautiful cemetery you’ve ever seen. It’s so peaceful and feels so protected with the mountains circling around.

Then it was on to visit my Grandma Kepo’o. It was great to let her meet her great-grandchildren for the first time.

Yes, there was still more to do that day! I was able to meet my Great Aunty Helen (my Grandfather’s sister) and her family for the first time. They had a nice party for us with – you guessed it – more great food! Boy am I surprised I didn’t gain more than 1o pounds this trip… It was so wonderful to be able to sit and visit with them. It amazes me that I had a whole side to my family I had never known before. I also received a bunch of family history from my cousin (1st cousin once removed) Wynster. He has done so much work putting together information about our family.

Max had his first taste of poi. He wasn’t quite sure about it at first, but once he got started he didn’t want to stop!

We had such a good time visiting that we didn’t end up leaving to go home until 11 PM. That’s 2 AM Utah time!! Look at Lila in the group pic…poor girl. No wonder we have such bad jetlag!

Day 5 – We went hiking up to Maunawili (or as Marc says, MAH-uh-nah-WEE-LEE) Falls. I couldn’t believe the size of the vines! I felt like we were in the jungle. Or Jurassic Park.

In the trail guide Marc had it said this was an easy 1 1/2 mile hike (each way) on a well worn trail. What they didn’t say is that the trail is almost completely uphill, you have to cross 5 streams and you have to trek through 4 inches of mud. I also got ahead of myself and decided to go around some of the stairs because they were such big steps. Of course, I fell and I was wearing Max in the backpack. :( Corey took over from there and kindly carried him the rest of the way.

Once we got there, it was gorgeous!

After such a hard workout, we spent of the rest of the day relaxing at the beach.

Day 6 – We started the day at BYU Hawaii, where Marc’s Dad had a meeting. We took the campus tour and had lunch.

Then we went to see the temple. It was so beautiful decorated for Christmas. It is kind of weird to see Christmas trees in a tropical setting though.

Finally, we made it to the PCC! (Polynesian Cultural Center) I wish we would have had more time there.

Lila was able to go on stage in Samoa and learn a coconut dance. She was so concentrated!

Marc stole the show in Tonga. He played the drums and did a great job keeping up! I knew there was a little poly in my haole boy! :)

I love watching everyone dance. It makes me miss the old days of the Multicultural Club! (You know you miss it too Nesa!!) All of the kids fell asleep during the night show. Lila missed the whole fire dance! Oh well. Maybe next time.

Day 7 – Another lazy day! We borrowed a portable crib from my Aunty and it was perfect for Max to play in and take a nap while we were out at the beach. Chloe also ended up falling asleep in the shade of the crib, so I actually had time to relax and read a magazine. Wow!

There is still one more day and lots more pictures and videos to post. But I’m running out of steam (and time) so I’ll finish this post later! :)

Leave Me A Comment. I like them.